Wednesday 18 January 2017

WELCOME TO JAMROCK.

 Oh Jamaica, Jamaica, Jamaica... what an island!

I don't even know where to begin when talking about this extraordinary island. To be honest I'm probably going to have to do several other posts, because it definitely deserves more than just one. (Ok I'm being a little biased here, but you can't blame me) I feel very blessed that for me Jamaica is more than just a holiday, it's somewhat home, due to it being the birthplace of my father.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
1999 - The year I first went to Jamaica, I still remember this family holiday very clearly. It was one of the first long-distanced holiday's i ever went on, so I was so excited, me and my sister both were. when your younger the travel process is so much more fascinating.


We were there for three weeks, in that time my father made sure we visited family and friends in towns such as Ocho Rios, Maypen and Lucea. We went to the famous rock climbing attraction Dunn's River and went to an indoor rock pool (can't remember the name!) 

I remember going to loads of beautiful beaches and playing in the ocean and hunting for crabs by the rocks. Back in the good old days the littlest of things kept me entertained and content. This holiday will always be one I'll hold close to my heart.♥

Young Gena - Helping my uncle make fresh coconut juice!
90's babies, my sister Yasmin and me loving life in the swimming pool.

15 years later, Jamaica we meet again...🕘

2014 - I had to go back for many reasons. I always knew my father dreamed of going back, unfortunately he never got the chance too.😞
So when the opportunity came about, I had to go, not just for myself, but for him too. Even better too my sister was joining me! #sistergoals  👭
I couldn't wait to experience Jamaica as an young adult. Two weeks of sun, sea, over indulgence and everything Jamaican. HEAVEN!

OMG as soon as we landed, the humidity was on a next level, lets just say the travel makeup didn't help nor was necessary. but if you know me, you know I had to have the basics applied on fleek  
We finally arrived at the RIU hotel, located in Montego bay. Even though I looked at images beforehand, I was jaw dropped when I seen it in real life, it was everything and SO MUCH MORE...simply stunning!

RIU Hotel Montego Bay, Private Beach.
It was the biggest hotel I stayed in at this point of my travels, when I entered, I remember being greeted with a rum punch cocktail and my luggage whisked away by the porters, I knew from that point, this holiday was going to be AMAZING. Once we were all checked in, we went to our room, it was another OMG moment, I felt like royalty.

There were two king-size beds, a gigantic flat screen TV, private balcony, a hot tub bath, sparkling marble floors and do you know the best bit? we had our own alcohol dispenser, which involved Jamaican rum, brandy, vodka and gin. I took full advantage of course

My own alcohol dispenser in my bedroom.

The first morning waking up in Jamaica, to be greeted by the sunrise was the prettiest sight ever,to feel the heat first thing in the morning is what I live for.
Going to breakfast, the food hall was FOOD HEAVEN and I'm not just saying this. Anything you fancied it was there from English, Jamaican, American, European etc, they catered to your every desire and taste buds.

The RIU hotel grounds, was every vacationers dream. There were 2 mega swimming pools with loungers, Jacuzzi and a bar in it. A private beach which provided water activities, endless restaurants from all you can eat, a steakhouse, Chinese and Italian cuisine and the famous jerk chicken hut.

It also featured a string of incredible bars and retail shops to splurge out on. The hotel had there own nightclub too, called Pacha, you really didn't really need to leave the hotel and explore if your boring that is The entertainment was on a next level of FUN VIBES, from learning patois in the day to learning how to shake your ass in a dance off at night! (of course I had to try that out, I did pretty well to be honest!)
 
The staff were so energetic, funny and charming, not like anything I have experienced before; from the reception desk, reservations team, bar staff, waiters, lifeguards and the entertainers, they definitely knew how to have a good time, Jamaican stylie.

I explored these places: Dunn's river, Dolphin Cove, Reggae Falls, Bob Marley's House, Doctor Cave Beach, Margaritaville Monetgo Bay.
& spent some a few days here: Kingston, St Thomas, Ochio Rios
(L-R) Yasmin, myself and our lovely friend Sherraine who flew out and joined us.
Me, loving life in the country side of St Thomas.
The 2 weeks spent was unreal and to date is my best holiday! I created and experienced memories which I'll save for a lifetime and met some incredible people, who I still keep in touch with until this day. It was so nice to be back in the country my dad was from, his energy was definitely felt throughout. He was always so proud of his heritage. He used to always share so many entertaining stories from his his childhood. I'm blessed, I can now do the same and tell my children one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment